Friday, February 3, 2012

A prayer for wanting just Jesus

Job 1:9 So Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing?

Job 1:20 Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21 And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.”


Dear Lord, I come before you right now asking you to forgive me. Forgive me for those moments that I am not much of a person for you to brag about. I know that no matter what I do, and no matter what is happening, nothing can separate me from Your love. This isn’t what this is about. It is those moments where Satan comes and asks me “Do you fear God for NOTHING?” Lord, I will admit, there are moments and sometimes periods in my life where I don’t. Where I love you more for what you have given me and for what you can do for me than just for the fact that You are God and you are all I need.

Forgive me for those times I pray what I know you want to hear and convince myself that by doing so, I’ll get what I want. Lord forgive me when I take your promises for granted and place them above you. Forgive me when I fail to thank you for what I do have and instead complain about all I don’t have. Forgive me when the most important thing in my life is me. God my biggest idol is me. It is a gold statue of myself, with a big bright smile on my face that hides the lack of depth I have, the lack of satisfaction that I have and the emptiness that so often comes with placing something ahead of you.

Give me what Job has. Teach me to understand my life in such a way that everything my eyes lay sight on is seen as something you have allowed me to have. Teach me to release my claim of ownership to anything. Teach me like Paul to say “I am not my own, I am bought at a price” with what Peter calls “the precious blood, not a perishable thing.” God please break me and make me a servant of You and of others, not of my own desires, ideals, likes, dislikes, peeves and anything else that belong to me.

Control and ownership is a myth. You are ultimately sovereign over all things. Help me to realize this on a daily basis. Help me to look to you, author and finisher of my faith. May I find in you everything I need to exist. May you be my main goal, my inheritance. May you not be just means to an end, but just the end, the Alpha and Omega.

Please do this in me and please show me how to love as you do. Give me more of You. Don’t give me solutions to my problems, don’t give me answers to my questions, just give me You and You alone, and then You go from there. Let me love you more. In your name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment