Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting into You....

On my way to work this morning (a drive that can either go really well or really bad) my iPhone in its infinite wisdom played probably one of my favorite songs: "Getting into You" by Relient K, which by the way is my favorite band. I have heard the song for years now, loving it more everytime I hear it, however, this morning I was pensive. Enough to really think about the song and really put to work what it says. Lyrics for those who have never heard it (and shame on you!) :

When I made up my mind
And my heart along with that
To live not for myself
But yet for God, somebody said
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

When I finally ironed out
All of my priorities
And asked God to remove the doubt
That makes me so unsure of these
Things I ask myself, I ask myself
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

[Chorus]
I'm getting into you
Because you got to me,
in a way words can't describe
I'm getting into you
Because I've got to be
You're essential to survive
I'm going to love you with my life

When he looked at me and said
I kind of view you as a son
And for a second our eyes met
And I met that with a question
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

[Chorus]

I've been a liar and I'll never amount to
The kind of person you deserve to worship you
You say you will not dwell on what I did but rather what I do you say
I love you and that's what you are getting yourself into

[Chorus]

He said, I love you and that's what you are getting yourself into

It's the reality for everyone in Christ, but do we really know what we are getting into? I ask myself that when things get interesting. Whether it be school, work, or an activity, usually when it gets real tough, I'll ask myself "what did I get myself into?" Sad to say I have done it with God. The call isn't easy and sometimes I quickly forget what it is I got myself into.

Got into the one on one with Him for all my life; Got into the call to do all things in Him who strengthens me; Got into doing all things for His glory. Imagine doing everything for Him? Easy on paper, impossible in practice, being a human sucks...then again if I were anything else I wouldn't have a soul (not that I need one...such a good song).

I am doubting Thomas. I am the guy who would have asked Jesus to touch his holes. The one who goes some days asking myself if I really mean it or if I think I really mean it. I am also a wonderful image (and I hate to admit it) of the prodigal son. The one who leaves God, runs around in circles in the mud pits of this world, then comes back hoping to use the shower once more (what can I say? It's my Trademark Move).

This time though, I mean business. I hope to set up shop in God's house and get the wheels of my life spinning in the right direction. I know what I got myself into. I got into Him, cuz he got into me, and let me just say if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be where I am today. I grew up Christian. I have what my friend (and teacher of the Growing in Faith classes) Al calls a "vanilla testimony." The nice guy who grew up with Jesus and basically had a normal, nothing crazy life, and accepted Christ not because of drugs or despair, but because it seemed impossible not to.

It is only now that I am beginning to realize that while my testimony is "vanilla" it is vanilla because God made it that way. If God weren't with me all my days, I would probably be moose tracks...the ice cream with everything, and then some...

More to come later....back to work...but not without Relient K! *slaps on headphones*

No comments:

Post a Comment