Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Staying on the Up and Up


It is a liberating feeling knowing you're free of something that haunted you for years. Sometimes we forget what Gal 2:20 says to us. We forget that we are dead to sin and alive in Him. I had an interesting conversation tonight. The best part is that it was brought about as result of the Holy Spirit speaking through me. It was weird, when I shared what was on my heart tonight, it didn't feel like much. I mean I just said what was on my mind, and shared what it was I had gone through in hopes that someone in that room might be moved in some way. Whether they be saved, or rededicated, if I touched one person, my kingdom work was done.

Needless to say, when it rains, it pours and God for some reason, chose to use this filthy wretch to do His bidding tonight. I had some people smiling at me, others high-fiving me, however, it was one person whose words were both confirming and also sprouted spiritual growth. I thought I strayed from the Lord, this guy was all over the place. We spoke for a while about being prodigals and how it is so crazy the way God works. We eventually drifted onto the topic of the devil, that roaring lion (1 Peter 5:8). It is funny, you know he is bad, you know he knows what he is doing, yet we still give in at times, when all we need to do is resist him and he will flee from us (James 4:7)

He is so smart, not to say I enjoy complimenting him, however, I will give him credit, the guy knows what he is doing. He knows a person like me won't smoke pot, or do any type of drug, however, I will doubt, I will worry, and I will become anxious. He is so good at exposing our weakness, and it's these weaknesses we need to recognize and give to God if we are ever to grow. Part of the call to surrender is to give it all, both the life and the things in it. I can give my life to Jesus, however, if I don't give Him my lifestyle, my choices, my actions, my addictions, my emotions, my issues, then I'm like kid who wants his Dad to fix his broken toy, however, I don't want to give my Dad the toy, I would rather him fix it while I hold it. That last analogy came from my accountability partner....OWNED!

Satan makes quick work with our weaknesses. What we need to recognize is when we are weak, then, we are strong (1 Cor 1:27). We need to be ready both in and out of season (2 Tim 4:2). We need to always find comfort in the Lord, knowing full well He will not allow the righteous to fall (Psalm 55:22).

I mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about blogging on my favorite book from the bible. Now, I have too. God placed this book on my heart and attached to it a heavy weight so that it might sink into the very depths of my heart and soul and penetrate the very being that I am. Once or twice a week, I'll blog on a verse from James. This book is amazing. Pastor Pedro calls it the Proverbs of the New Testament. The book is 5 small chapters, however, I doubt you can sit and read it in one sitting. Sure you'll get through the words, but the message is so heavy and convicting, that you'll spend more time praying and taking notes and less time reading. James is so cut and dry, to the point, no horse play.

Why not kick it off with one I already mentioned, James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

This is a two part verse. See, sure we can resist the devil, however, we can't do it alone. Part of being able to resist the devil is recognizing that apart from God, we can do nothing. Without Him in our lives, all we are is fish in a barrel and the devil is standing above the barrel with a shotgun.

Once we have submitted ourselves to God, then that's where we can resist the devil. Pray against him, declare yourself free of sin. Dead to sin, alive to Christ. Justified in Christ. A new creation. He has no power over us. Sin has lost its power, death has lost its sting. We are no longer slaves to sin, so why give in? Why allow this idiot of a devil, the great deceiver, such power? The only person who should have that kind of power to control us is God.

So submit fully to the Lord, then punch the devil in the face with the Sword. GET OWNED SATAN!

Extra fun: Romans 6:14-19, Psalm 55

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post. Flames from James! It is my favorite NT book.

    ReplyDelete